Some hand-picked quotes from Robert A. Heinlein. I’m in love with each one.
– Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn’t there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything.
– To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy — and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful.
– There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.
– Don’t ever become a pessimist… a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.
– Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Continue reading Some R. A. Heinlein quotes
Bacon: What’s that?
Samoan Joe’s Barman: It’s a cocktail. You asked for a cocktail.
Bacon: No. I asked you to give me a refreshing drink. I wasn’t expecting a fucking rainforest! You could fall in love with an orangutan in that!
Samoan Joe’s Barman: You want a pint, you go to the pub.
Bacon: I thought this was a pub!
Samoan Joe’s Barman: It’s a Samoan pub.
Continue reading Some quotes from one of my favourite movies
There is a Russian joke about the subject, that for a soldier to apply the knowledge of unarmed combat on the battlefield:
- He needs to lose his unit.
- He needs to lose his firearm.
- He needs to lose his knife.
- He needs to lose his spade, his belt, his armour, his helmet, and everything else he could use as a makeshift weapon.
- He needs to find himself on a plain open area without any rock, wooden stick, metal shard or anything alike.
- He needs to meet there another useless idiot like himself.
- And only after all these conditions are met they can finally engage in a fair and square hand-to-hand.
Ironically, the joke was invented and is often told by Russian Special Forces, who actually do train pretty hard for melee.
© Stepan Serdyuk @ Quora.com