There is a Russian joke about the subject, that for a soldier to apply the knowledge of unarmed combat on the battlefield:
- He needs to lose his unit.
- He needs to lose his firearm.
- He needs to lose his knife.
- He needs to lose his spade, his belt, his armour, his helmet, and everything else he could use as a makeshift weapon.
- He needs to find himself on a plain open area without any rock, wooden stick, metal shard or anything alike.
- He needs to meet there another useless idiot like himself.
- And only after all these conditions are met they can finally engage in a fair and square hand-to-hand.
Ironically, the joke was invented and is often told by Russian Special Forces, who actually do train pretty hard for melee.